file Multiple Groups

More
11 years 2 months ago #1332 by julija
Multiple Groups was created by julija
Another feature we need in our website is the possibility to assign one user to multiple groups. Do you have any plans in this direction?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #1334 by carsten888
Replied by carsten888 on topic Re:Multiple Groups
not at present. In my experience assigning users to more then one group (and/or assigning rights based on usergroup AND individual users) leads to unmanagable profiles for administrators. Things get really hairy when you have conflicting rights piled on top of each other and/or have to let administrators decide in which level of rights overrulez the other.

I'll see what Joomla 1.6 brings and if there is room for improvement I will reconsider.

More
11 years 2 months ago #1335 by julija
Replied by julija on topic Re:Multiple Groups
Yes, conflicting rights is really a problem. :(

In our case, we have a parent group - "Partners". Partners take part in different events and there are some contents that are available only for those who have taken part in some particular event. So what we need is multiple assigning of one partner to different event groups.
Seems to be impossible when using FUA, right?

Thank you for your answer though!

More
11 years 2 months ago #1337 by carsten888
Replied by carsten888 on topic Re:Multiple Groups
The only alternative would beto create usergroups per event. Sorry.

More
11 years 2 months ago #1340 by julija
Replied by julija on topic Re:Multiple Groups
carsten888 wrote:

The only alternative would beto create usergroups per event. Sorry.

Yes, it would be necessary anyway, a user group pro event. The problem is that one user participates not in one, but in different events. :)

But I've got your point, and I agree that this feature would come in conflict with the main advantage of your extension, it's simplicity.

More
10 years 10 months ago #1915 by elwynor
Replied by elwynor on topic Re:Multiple Groups
I don't see this as conflicting with simplicity. It's a must-have. There are many times when you want to restrict access or actions to n number of user types. It's also common to have a particular user be a member of multiple groups. You can't just assume that each user is one, and you can't assume that it's easy to partition it that way. I might want to grant a user the privileges accorded to two of five groups, but not make him/her an admin.

This is really a big feature missing.

I don't see how priority is relevant. Either you have access or you don't. It's like having a keyring. If the lock requires a specific key, and you have two on your keyring, and one opens the lock, you're in.

The way this is designed now, you are allowed only one key on your keyring at a time.

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds